Friday, March 25, 2011

Anime Boston Update, etc!

Etc! Like the etc is the exciting part.

I figured I owed my small readership (who are you guys, anyway?) at least a brief update.

As I suspected, I wasn't able to complete the staff in time to make it into the Blizzard contest. This made me very sad. However, at least now I can make it perfect. It's about half way done. I don't have a progress shot on it just yet, because...

After the contest was done, I took a little costuming/prop break for a week or so. Then I got to work on my Anime Boston costume and associated props. I'm entering into the masquerade with two girls from my work, Sarah and Kayla, so look for us! We're going as Casper (the blue one), Windia (the white one), and Rosa (the pink one) from the video game Deathsmiles. The costumes are very cute, and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm a bit nervous about my first masquerade, though.

I'm responsible for making Windia's sword and Casper's giant scissors (so many giant scissors...). Originally, I was planning on making the sword blade out of translucent acrylic, which I bought and began slogging away at cutting with my lack of appropriate tools. I was really struggling with it, and also worried about the fragility of the material, as well as its weight.

Luckily, during this time, I happened to connect to a coworker who knows all kinds of stuff-making techniques, and offered to share his knowledge AND his workspace. SO, I'm instead making the sword out of... fiberglass! And foam. The latter comes first, then the former. I've always wanted to learn this skill, and now I'm able to learn it from someone who knows what they're doing, while simultaneously making a sweet sword that I had to make anyway. BONUS: it should be very lightweight for Sarah to hold! Horray! The photo is a progress shot of the blade shape out of foam. (Please excuse the surrounding mess. >_>) I'll be completing the handle this weekend, and next week, it's fiberglass time!

I'm full of !s today, I guess.

As a bonus, I've included a photo of a progress shot of the skull that goes in the middle of my (Casper's) scissors. It still needs to be sanded and everything, but I'm happy with its appearance. I made it from paper pulp mache, which you can buy in great sacks at the craft store for about $10 a bag. It was very easy to work with, and dries super hard and light! I'm very impressed by this material, and will be using it a lot in the future. I'm also using it on the WoW staff. Shots of that another time.

Other than that, much progress has been made, but not many photos have been taken. The sewing part of it doesn't look like much to photograph right now, and I just haven't gotten around to taking a shot of the scissors. I will be taking more photos this weekend, and give some kind of update next week. Things are rolling! :D

No comments: